About Charley Kyd
I’ve been developing and using spreadsheets in business for a long time…from VisiCalc, to Lotus 1-2-3, to every Windows version of Excel.
by Charley Kyd, MBA
Microsoft Excel MVP, 2005-2014
The Father of Spreadsheet Dashboard Reports
I’m also the father of spreadsheet dashboard reports. Specifically, I created…I’m the founder of ExcelUser.com, the leading web site about the business use of Microsoft Excel.
I’ve got an MBA from the University of Washington, and was a Microsoft Excel MVP for eight years.
- The First Spreadsheet Dashboard
- The First Excel Dashboard Report
- The First Excel Dashboard Report Shown in Public
- The First Excel Dashboard Report Showing Financial Data for a Public Company
I’ve been using spreadsheets since 1979…
- While working as a cost accountant at Hewlett Packard, I beta tested VisiCalc.
- As the CFO of several manufacturing companies in the 1980s, I used nearly ten different brands of spreadsheets, including a 3-D spreadsheet created by the Boeing Corporation.
- As a columnist for LOTUS magazine, I helped business users of 1-2-3 to get more value from their spreadsheets.
- As a columnist for Business Software magazine, I beta tested the first version of Excel for the PC.
I’ve written four books about spreadsheets for major publishers. I wrote one book about financial management with Lotus 1-2-3, two similar books about Excel for Microsoft Press, and one book about programming Excel for Microsoft Press.
I’ve published nearly 50 articles and columns in national magazines, including Inc,Management Accounting, LOTUS, Byte, PC World, Business Software, and Business Performance Management.
I’ve consulted for both large and small companies in industries as diverse as high-tech manufacturing, public utilities, telecommunications, hardware stores, foundations, and a fat rendering company.